There are few different companies that manufacture modules for home automation. Even with products from same company, it can be difficult to find all in one solutions to consumers’ need. Through manipulating the behaviors of the modules through the controller, we can accomplish almost anything.
Let’s look at a situation where solution is not obvious. In my home, I have a separated garage with a conventional door opener and lights. To automate the door, I added a Z-wave inline module. It works great, but it often interferes with the built-in light of the opener. So I removed the light fixture from it. Now every time I come home the garage is dark because the other set of lights requires me to turn on separately. Solution is to combine two modules; the door open/close sensor and the light switch module.
I wrote down what I would like to have and what equipment I have to solve the problem. What I wrote is; Sensor is Armed –> Sensor is Connected/Disconnected –> Turn ON lights –> Wait 10 min –> Turn OFF lights. Then, being a good computer scientist I created a flow chart.Now, I installed the Z-wave 2-way switch module by replacing the old switches. Then I used the association in Vera controller to make a relationship between the sensor and the light switch.
Here is an example video of an association (not the same one describe above).
You can resolve problems similar to this using associations in many other situations. Here are few example of typical problems that can be fixed using association method.
- Turn on lights (switch module) when the motion senator (sensor module) is tripped if the time period is night.
- Turn off the TV (plug-in module) if the motion sensor (sensor module) have not been tripped for over X hours in the entertainment room.
- Turn on the sprinklers (plug-in module OR sprinkler controller module) if the light sensor (sensor module) detects low lights and it is at night.
- If the light level (luminance sensor) is below 90 lux then turn on lights.
- If the humidity level (humidity sensor) is below 40% turn on the humidifier and send an email.
- If you install a multisensor, Boolean logic possibilities can be significantly increased.
- …and many many more!
The key to a successful association type automation is proper planing and right equipment.