»

Oct 31 2011

Print this Post

I had to rebuild the software side due to an error in judgement

Yesterday I had to rebuild my entire server because I made an error in how I created the RIAD system. When I initially setup the server, I placed all my 146 GB and 76 GB units of harddrives in one RAID 5 cause a huge loss of data space. When you add different sizes of HDs to a RAID 5 array, the controller takes the multiples of the smallest and the slowest RPM for the maximum output causing a huge limitation on the RAID. I dismount the entire RAID 5 and mounted the 146 GB at 10 K on RAID 5 and an independent RAID 1 for the two 76 GB units at 15 K. Then I installed the OS in the 76 GB faster drives giving me a faster boot time while the six 146 GB on RAID 5 provided a maximum yield of storage space.

This is the best configuration for the hardware I have right now.  Unless I upgrade the 76 GB units with new 146 GB units which I don’t think I will go for right now. Let’s compare what I had previously to what I have now in my next post!!

Permanent link to this article: http://sanuja.com/blog/i-had-to-rebuild-the-software-side-due-to-an-error-in-judgement

1 comment

  1. Marcelene Bassham

    Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I think that you can do with some percent to drive the message house a little bit, however other than that, that is fantastic blog. A great read. I’ll definitely be back.

Comments have been disabled.